New 3D Printer Creates Full-Color Objects
da Vinci Color uses built-in inkjet that colorizes objects as they're being made. It also incorporates fully automatic build plate leveling.
The da Vinci Color offers full-color printing, automatic build plate leveling and a removable bed.
3D printer manufacturer XYZprinting is launching a first of its kind: a fused filament fabrication 3D printer that offers full CMYK printing by incorporating inkjet printing into the build process.
The da Vinci Color — now in pre-order for $2,999.95 ($3,499.95 after the first 1,000 units are ordered) — uses a proprietary process, called 3DColorJet, to spray four-color inks onto the model as it's being built. (Both the PLA-based filament and the ink used in the printer use a proprietary formula. A 600g spool of filament for the da Vinci Color runs $35, while the color ink cartridge costs $65 with 40 ml ink per color.) The result is an all-in-one solution for producing full-color 3D objects.
Sample color output from the printer.
Textures can be created in third-party software and saved as .obj files for use with the printer's software, or designers can use the included XYZmaker software to texture objects.
In addition to color printing, the new da Vinci Color offers other unique features, including:
- Fully automatic (hands-free) build plate leveling;
- A print bed that is flexible, easily removable and doesn't require PEI or painters' tape: Once the object is printed, pull the whole bed off and bend it to pop the model off.
Other features include:
- WiFi and USB connections (with support for USB sticks);
- Build dimensions of up to 7.9" x 7.9" x 5.9";
- Support for Linux, macOS and Windows;
- A 5-inch touchscreen; and
- Support for PLA and PETG when printing non-color objects (as well as upcoming support for Tough PLA).
Another sample printed by the da Vinci Color.
For K-12 schools, XYZprinting offers curriculum resources designed to help educators integrate 3D printers into standards-based lessons.
Pre-orders are being accepted now at xyzprinting.com/en-US/product/da-vinci-color, and a 10 percent education discount is available as well. The first 1,000 units will sell for $2,999.95. After that, the price will be $3,499.95. A specific ship date has not been announced, but it is expected soon.